Well my dreaded thyroid surgery was on Monday and I'm happy to say the procedure went smoothly. I was in and out of the operating room very quickly and before I knew it, I was recovering in my hospital room. My surgeon said the procedure went well and she took out the majority of my left thyroid, as well as the massive nodule that had taken up so much of my neck. She said that the nodule didn't look suspicious and everything else looked healthy so she was very optimistic. After one night in the hospital, I was sent home to rest and recuperate. I must say that my experience at Palmetto Richland Hospital was absolutely wonderful. I had the best nursing staff anyone could have hoped for and I really can't think of one single complaint! They were great.
The recovery hasn't been too bad...I've had quite a bit of soreness and some pain but nothing that isn't tolerable. (and nothing some pain meds can't fix!) I have a decent sized incision on my neck but instead of stitches, it's held together with skin glue. It's really quite lovely! (note the sarcasm.) Other than not being able to lift, and no driving until I'm able to turn my head comfortably, there are really no restrictions. I've been able to eat normally which is good. This week has really given me a chance to catch up on daytime TV, watch a few movies, and learn the joy of not showering regularly. (oops...was that TMI? .....I HAVE showered by the way!) I'm taking pain medication less and less and am now able to pretty much turn my head normally with only minor discomfort so I think I'll be back to normal in just a couple more days. Hallelujah!
Anyways, although my doctor thought everything looked pretty healthy during the surgery, it was still necessary for everything to be sent off for a pathology test. We got the results yesterday afternoon. The good news- the large nodule that was removed was completely benign. The bad news- there was a small area beside the nodule that came back positive for thyroid cancer. Those were pretty scary words for a 25 year old to hear and I think I spent several hours in shock. But, while cancer is very scary and no one wants to hear that diagnosis, the good news is this is an extremely curable cancer. My doctor is confident (as am I) that this will be completely treatable and, as she put it, this will only be a minor speed bump in my life. The affected area is very small apparently and from what I understand we can either leave it and monitor it for growth, or we can go back in and remove the rest of the thyroid and be done with it. My surgeon wants to go forward and remove it, however she wanted to confer with my endocrinologist before any decisions are made. I'd imagine we'll have some answers some time next week about the next course of action.
Now that I've had time to internalize everything and accept it, I feel good about the situation. I know that everything will be fine, and like my doctor said, this is a minor speed bump. The worst thing that can happen? I'll have my thyroid completely removed and have to take thyroid medication for the rest of my life. Not too terrible and it could definitely be a lot worse, so I'm very thankful for that.
I appreciate those of you who have been praying for me...it means so much to have friends who care. I will definitely keep everyone posted on any new developments.
Now- off to the shower..as I am suddenly very aware of the length of time it's been since my last one. Ha!!! :)
Love Yall!
Friday, May 14, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
OH MY GOSH! My friend,I am so sorry you had to go through this and please know you are in my prayers, pretty lady! I know everything will be fine! Love ya!
Post a Comment