I figured I'd let all of you faithful bloggers know what's currently going on with me personally. A couple months back, I noticed a large lump on my neck about the size of a golf ball. Understandably alarmed, I immediately called to make an appointment with my family doctor. Meanwhile, I did what anybody would do in a situation like that....I googled it. I realized that it was mostly likely a thyroid nodule, which my doctor confirmed. I had some blood work done to test my thyroid, which came back normal. I then was sent to have a thyroid ultrasound done, which further confirmed the presence of a 4.5 cm nodule, and then was referred to an endocronologist. After 1 visit with him, he suggested a needle biopsy be done to test for the possibility of cancer. I went in for my biopsy and the doctor took 4-5 samples from the nodule and sent them off for testing. The biopsy results came back suspicious and overall inconclusive. There wasn't sufficient evidence to say whether it was benign or malignant. Because of the suspicious biopsy report and the large size of the nodule, surgery was recommended. Fortunately for me, one of the recommended surgeons just HAPPENS to be Bryson's ENT who we absolutely love and trust. (YES PLEASE, I'll take her!)
After meeting with the surgeon, we found out exactly what we're looking at. I'll be going in on May 10th to have a thyroid lobectomy. She will remove the left side of my thyroid (which includes the nodule) and will then send it off for testing. If it comes back to be malignant, then she will have to remove the rest of my thyroid and I'll be on thyroid medication the rest of my life. If it comes back benign, there shouldn't be any other treatment. The right side of my thyroid should continue to do it's job and I wont need any kind of thyroid treatment.
So, in a nutshell, I'll have a little surgery and have a week off of work to relax and hang out around the house. Not too bad! I'm just really ready to get this over with. I feel like I've been going in circles for the past 2 months and am finally ready to get some answers.
So wish me luck! I'll definitely keep everyone posted on the outcome.
Saturday, May 1, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Jennifer - I cannot fuss at you bc LORD KNOWS I am a private person (but for specific reasons ...) Anyhoo ... you are gonna be FINE - you are FINE! This is just one of those tests ... ya know! Everything is gonna be more than fine ... and honestly, your courage to be be able to come to work day in and day our for the last 2 months is more than inspiring to me. You are WONDERFUL~AND we ALL including Miss S are praying for you J & B!!!!!
I am praying for you! I love you!!!
Post a Comment