Saturday, June 19, 2010

Father's Day

Well it's that special time of the year where we celebrate all the fathers in the world. You know that old saying, "A good man is hard to find"? Well I happen to believe this is very true. Not only is a good man hard to find....but finding a good man who is also a good father? Even harder. Fortunately I lucked out in both areas. Jeffrey has been a wonderful husband these past 3 years. The usual complaints I hear from other women regarding their husbands never seem to apply to mine. He and I both share the housework...he doesn't expect me to do all of it myself just because I am a woman. He goes out of his way to make me happy...ice cream craving at 10PM? He makes it happen, even if it means going out to the store or to Sonic for a late night treat. In other words, he selflessly takes care of me, never asking what's in it for him...he does it because he loves me and he cares about making me happy. I find that to be a rare trait in a man.
Not only is Jeffrey a wonderful husband, but when Bryson was born, I found out he is also a wonderful father. He is probably the most "hands on" dad I've ever seen and he has been that way from day 1. Late night feedings, poopy diapers, early morning wake ups, bath time, play time, etc....he's there for it all. In fact, he's changed more poopy diapers and given more baths than I have....how many women can say that about their husbands? Bryson and I have truly been blessed to have such a wonderful man in our lives. God knew EXACTLY what he was doing when he brought Jeffrey and I together and for that I am so thankful!
13 years ago, I lost the other great man in my life, my dad. He was my world, my rock, my hero. If there ever was a Daddy's Girl...it was me. My dad was a wonderful man; he was funny, kind hearted, even tempered...and boy did he spoil me rotten. I miss him every day, and it hurts my heart so much that he's not here now- to share my life, to be a grandpa to my son, to bond with my husband. We never got the chance to talk about my first date, to pick out my first car, to dance at my wedding. But--for 12 years I got the experience the love of a wonderful father and for that, I am grateful. For those 12 years I had the most wonderful Daddy a girl could ever ask for and I wouldn't be the person I am today if it weren't for him. So, Daddy- I love you, I miss you, and I honor you on this Father's Day. Thank you for being the man you were and for showing me what a father's love should look like. We will be together again some day!

Happy Father's Day to all the dads out there!

1 comment:

Carter said...

such a wonderful post ... i know today is so very hard! Focus on that wonderful hubby and perfect little boy!